Donald R. Boyken, CCP, FRICS, FAACE
Donald R. Boyken has been active in the construction industry since 1970. His experience
includes development and management of resort
, infrastructure, and higher education
projects in the United States, the Caribbean, Latin America, and the United Kingdom. Based in Atlanta Mr. Boyken provides consulting services both nationally and internationally.
Mr. Boyken has been instrumental in working with clients who have critical project problems, not only finding solutions, but also helping owners with the implementation of these solutions. His consulting work as a CEO Coach, Business Development Consultant, and Turn-around Specialist uniquely qualifies him to advise clients with business issues or projects with foreseeable problematic issues and to resolve the conflicts before they become a hindrance to the company.
Mr. Boyken has also provided expert witness testimony
regarding project costs, defective construction, project means and methods, and costs for foreclosed or bankrupt properties in cases involving airports, apartments, office buildings and sports arenas.
Mr. Boyken was Chairman and CEO of Boyken International, building the practice to the 34th largest program management firm in the United States. In 2009, Boyken International was sold to one of the World’s largest Program Management firms and Mr. Boyken assisted in transferring the contracts to the acquiring company. Boyken International had specialized in the management of projects in the healthcare, resort, commercial, and higher education sectors throughout North America and the Caribbean.
Prior to starting Boyken International, Mr. Boyken was part of the construction project manager team for Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport leading the Project Administration team including the schedule and estimating services. Mr. Boyken was also with Blount Brothers Corporation, an international construction company, as an estimator and scheduler.
- M.B.A., Auburn University, 1977
- B.S., Building Construction, Virginia Tech, 1974
- Coursework, Conducting Environmental Evaluations: Assessments & Audits, The Environmental Institute, 1991
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Fellow and Certified Cost Professional with the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering
- Urban Land Institute
- American Society of Professional Estimators
- American Institute of Constructors
- American Society for Testing and Materials International
- American Arbitration Association
- American Association of Airport Executives
- American Institute of Architects
- Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering
Mr. Boyken is a firm believer in returning to the community his expertise and time. He is currently on the Advisory Board for the School of Construction at Virginia Tech. He is also on the City of Dunwoody Chamber of Commerce Board. He also has been on the Advisory Board for the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Trustees for a private school in North Georgia, national professional associations, and local civic associations. He recently completed a term as a Planning Commissioner for the City of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
- Who’s Who International Business Leaders, (1995, 1996)
- Who’s Who in America, (1993-94)
- Small Business Man of the Year, Atlanta, Georgia, (1989)
- Outstanding Young Men of America, (1981)
- “Performing and Reporting Cost Analysis During the Design Phase of a Building Project,” ASTM Standard E1804
- “2008 Commercial Real Estate Forecast-How the Residential Market Forecasts Commercial Construction,” Dixie Contractor, (2007)
- “Construction Cost Escalation: When It Can Be Expected to Return,” Hotel Executive, (2006)
- “Money–Is Your Project Heading for Trouble? How to Recognize the Signs.” Cost Engineering Magazine AIA Journal, (1993)
- “Estimating Seminar, Center for Disease Control,” Atlanta, Georgia
- “10 Warnings Signs That Your Project is Headed for Trouble,” Construction Super-Conference, San Francisco, California
Donald R. Boyken
CCP, FRICS, FAACE
DRB Consulting LLC